Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'm a salaried employee who gets paid every two weeks (or "every other week;" pick your preference ;>). As such, there are two months out of the year that I receive an "extra" paycheck. This month is one such month. And here's my [mini-] dilemma. A few months ago, my boyfriend and I discussed going to Houston. He's also a salaried employee and has an "extra" check, so we thought the timing was right for us to plan and pay for a trip. We agreed to spend about $500 for the trip (a nice chunk of change to cover airfare, lodging and a rental car; not enough to cover additional expenses such as airport parking, food and admission for attractions). Although we're traveling from different places, the combined cost (airfare, hotel and rental car) for us to go to Houston (this December, I should add) is around $1000.

Even though I've set aside close to half of this "extra" check to go towards my car payment, I'm tempted to postpone the trip so I can do other things with the funds, like fix that nick in my windshield, or set a couple hundred aside in savings or my Roth, or buy a few clothes for work. I rationalize that going on a trip to Houston AFTER I pay off my car would be a nice reward, a treat for having done something good (marshmallow, anyone?).


On the other hand, the boyfriend and I haven't been anywhere "new" since July, and before that, March. The weather will be nice (especially compared to the "arctic" winter of the Mid-Atlantic) and I'd like to go sooner than later.
What would you do?
Houston for 2010? Or pay bills and save money?

No comments:

Post a Comment