Thursday, January 27, 2011

This Phone Bill Can't Be Right

I am a satisfied customer of AT&T. I don't have a "fancy phone" with internet access and whatnot (at least for now :>). I have a plan with just enough minutes (I have plenty that have "rolled over") and unlimited text messages. The base price for my rate plan is $59.99 ($39.99 for the minutes and $20 for unlimited text messages). I've gotten accustomed to paying just under $70 a month for my phone bill (including taxes, fees, and the occasional usage charge for when I accidentally access the internet<<those data charges suck!) However, I've noticed that my most recent bills have been $71+. 


At first, I thought I was accidentally accessing the internet more often than usual. Turns out, one of the miscellaneous fees has increased. Now you might say, "what the heck is your problem? It's just a couple of dollars." Well, I believe it "all adds up." Besides, I'm irritated that my monthly spending plans reflect a $70 expense for something that turns out to be a little bit more. At the current rate (approx. $71/month), I'm spending $12 to $24 more (per year) on my phone than planned!

Okay, so maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. You know what I did? I changed my billing address to my parents home (heck, I have their address on file for other accounts, so what's the big deal?). My hope is that the local fees for their city/county/state will be lower than the local fees for my city/county/state. I'm crossing my fingers I can go back to paying $69.82/month (or less). I'll keep you posted!

Would you change your billing address on an account if it meant paying lower taxes and/or fees? Why or why not?

P.S. I recently signed up for auto-pay on this account. I guess it took me so long because I have a thing with control and desire to move money when I want to. ..and this auto-pay plan doesn't allow you to set the payment date. Most importantly, I wanted to make sure that I'd have the funds available to cover the expense, as I assign certain expenses to the 1st or 2nd pay period of the month. However, I've been bought... there was a $10 incentive to switch to auto-pay or paperless billing (I did this eons ago). So I'm just waiting on my ten bucks! I'll probably ask you what to spend it on ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment